3625 University Boulevard South
Jacksonville, Florida 32216
- Things To Do
Exclusive Deals Coming Soon
Hotel Partner Offers
We are currently updating our specials and deals mapping feature. Please check back soon for exclusive deals and savings.
Top surgeons and a comprehensive approach to helping patients battle obesity and live healthier lives have catapulted Memorial Hospital to its current position as the leading bariatric program in Northeast Florida and one of the largest in the state.
The center provides a full range of services, from inpatient surgical care to post-operative care, follow-up, and patient education. Recent awards and accolades include the prestigious Bariatric Center of Excellence designation by the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), given to surgical programs with a demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes in bariatric surgery. The Bariatric Center at Memorial Hospital also earned a Healthgrades 5-Star rating in Clinical Excellence for Bariatric Surgery, and was the only program in Northeast Florida to receive the Blue Distinction Centers for Bariatric Surgery designation by Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
- The Bariatric Center at Memorial Hospital performed a total of 556 procedures last year.
- Procedure options include Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, lapband surgery, and gastric sleeve surgery.
- In many cases, non-invasive laparoscopic surgeries are appropriate and successful.
- The typical patient demographic for bariatric surgery has changed to include men as well as women, and an average age of 45.
- A recent study of patients at 10 years post-surgery reported significant, lasting weight loss and improvement in diabetes, lipid levels, HDL levels, and high blood pressure compared to patients who tried conventional weight loss techniques.
- Obesity surgery was associated with an 89% reduction in death compared with death rates in morbidly obese patients who did not have surgery, according to another recent study.